DETROIT, MICHIGAN PROPERTY EST. 1917 • NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES The building was built in two phases, with a 10-story hotel opening in 1916, designed by Chicago architects Schmidt, Garden, and Martin. The second phase, a 21-story tower opened in 1927 and was designed by renowned Detroit architect Albert Kahn. The hotel saw its fortunes rise and fall along with the city of Detroit. In the 1950s large hotel companies, like Hilton, dominated the industry and the Fort Shelby was sold to Albert Pick of Pick Hotels and became the Pick Fort Shelby. The hotel eventually closed in 1974. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983, local investors began restorations in 2007. The hotel reopened as DoubleTree Suites by Hilton in December 2008. Although officially closed, the hotel temporarily reopened to host the 1980 Republican Convention as an official convention hotel. ORIGINAL HOTEL CLASSIC SERVICE BLENDED DÉCOR BEAUX-ARTS AMENITIES 203 suites all averaging over 650 square feet. Each room has a private bedroom separated by the living room with a solid wood door. The hotel has an Executive Conference Center that was certified by the International Association of Conference Center. DINING The Motor City Kitchen Round Bar is more like a neighborhood corner hangout than a hotel “lobby” bar. The space, known as the Tiger Room in the 1950s and 60s, now serves Contemporary American cuisine and hand-crafted pizza. 18 Taps, including 16 dedicated to crafting brews make this the perfect spot to hang out with friends or meet new ones. LOCATION In Downtown Detroit just 10 blocks from Comerica Park and Fox Theatre, 12 blocks from Ford Field, and 3 blocks from Joe Louis Arena. Convenient to the theatre and art districts. Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport: 20 miles, 22 minutes. 525 West Lafayette Boulevard Detroit, MI 48226 T 313.963.5600
Published by Historic-Hotels. View All Articles.