ST. PETERSBURG, FLORIDA PROPERTY EST. 1925 • NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES In 1923, Pennsylvania businessman Aymer Vinoy Laughner commissioned architect Henry L. Taylor to design a luxury hotel overlooking Tampa Bay. Two years later, the $3.5 million The Vinoy Park Hotel with 375 luxurious guestrooms was open for business. The Vinoy reopened as a hotel in 1945 and continued operations until 1974, when, in a state of disrepair, it closed for more than 20 years. The salmon-colored hotel then underwent a $93 million restoration and expansion that added a guest tower and complete recreational facilities, including an 18-hole golf course redesigned by Ron Garl. In the early 1940s, the hotel was converted into a training facility for the Army Air Corps; military cooks and bakers also learned their trades here. ORIGINAL RESORT CLASSIC SERVICE BLENDED DÉCOR MEDITERRANEAN REVIVAL AMENITIES 361 guestrooms and suites. Each with coffee service and morning newspaper. Concierge, tennis, golf, 2 swimming pools, fitness center, salon and day spa, and 74-slip marina. DINING Marchand’s Bar & Grill, Fred’s Cellar, the Clubhouse Restaurant, Alfresco’s, The Veranda Café, lobby bar, and Veranda Patio offer a variety of dining experiences. Room service is also available. LOCATION On Fifth Avenue and Beach Drive, near The Salvador Dali Museum, Chihuly Collection, Museum of Fine Arts, Mahaffey Theatre, Baywalk, the pier, Tropicana Field, Florida Holocaust Museum, St. Petersburg Museum of History, and the Florida International Museum. Tampa Int’l Airport: 17 miles, 25 minutes. 501 Fifth Avenue NE St. Petersburg, FL 33701 T 727.894.1000
Published by Historic-Hotels. View All Articles.